Google AdSense

Sunday, December 5, 2010

An Ode to Christmas in Japan

Christmas of Japan, how have you been?

With all of your traditional Christmas lights and KFC for din din.

I pass Colonel Sanders who is wearing a red velvet stocking cap with trim in white

As I eat British Christmas cake, heading out for a hot date tonight

With reservations at a love hotel on the other side of town made nearly a year ago

I ride the train to meet my new sweetie, a girl I first met six month ago

Romance is in the air as we lay on the heart-shaped bed

Sounds of George Michaels' Wham! song, "Last Christmas" are dancing in my head

As I fall asleep watching naughty movies paid for by the hour

This hotel with no chimney for Santa makes my mouth sour

A moment later, I wake up recalling my recent dreams

Of returning from candlelight church service sitting with family next to the big, bright tree,

The Christmas of Japan is a farce, or so it seems

As I awake, it is now December 25th, Christmas is over in Japan

We wake up early to check out of our room with my sweetie's gift in my hand

The streets are busy with salarymen all dressed in the same dark clothes

It is business as usual and store owners are already taking down their mistletoe

Instead of opening presents around the Christmas tree

I part ways at the train station with my sweetie, who says she will call me at three
I report to work, on the day that the baby laid in the manger

I can't focus on work, my boss senses the danger

The only thing significant about Christmas Day in this oriental and strange place

Is how everybody talks about placing bets on horses at the annual race

Christmas of Japan, how you made me feel so blue

Now, I'm back home where I don't have to deal with you!

The Divine Wind Vault http://divinewindvault.blogspot.com (C)2006-10

No comments:

Post a Comment