Google AdSense

Sunday, December 19, 2010

"He ate sushi twice a day for years"

Originally written in December 2008

As I tell my wife, "Sushi wo tabanai hi ha arimasen." "There isn't a day that I don't eat sushi." Maybe I should remember what "Big Red" would tell us on the Valley Forge. Keep things in moderation.


The other night at dinner, the news went to a Hollywood variety show which I really don't care for. But, on this particular day, something mentioned caught my attention. Jeremy Piven, a Hollywood "Ham n' Egger" was sidelined from an acting job due to high levels of mercury in his system forcing him to be fatigued which was out of character for him. His publicist was quoted as saying, "He ate sushi twice a day for years".

As an enthusiast of sushi, I never thought you could eat too much of something fresh from nature. But, the verdict is still out since Piven was a big user of Chinese herbs.

I had always thought that tainted seafood was the prime source of mercury poisoning. In the mid to late 1950s, it was discovered that a Japanese chemical company was dumping waste into nature causing the seafood in the area to become tainted. This later became known as Minamata disease.

Today, Hollywood movies have their take on sushi by making sly comments like, "Eat sushi? No thanks, I had a thermometer yesterday." or something along those lines as seen in Rising Sun featuring Wesley Snipes and Sean Connery.

Since sushi around here is the rolls with non-seafood as the filling, I figure I am due for some good sushi everyday for the next week!

The Divine Wind Vault http://divinewindvault.blogspot.com (C)2006-10

No comments:

Post a Comment