Google AdSense

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Great Journeys in Japan and around Asia Series, Part 4


"Kawaguchi City Little League- Asian and International Champions, Little League World Series Finalist"


Originally published in the Fall 2006 Issue of Saitama MemoRandom An English Quarterly Publication by The Saitama Prefectural Government, International Division,
Saitama City, Urawa Ward, Japan

Kawaguchi Kita Junior High School- This past summer vacation while Japan was glued to their television sets watching Japanese high school baseball competition, a small group of 12 and 13 year old boys from Kawaguchi City, Saitama did what some of us dream to do….travel the world just to play a game.

Kawaguchi Little League of Kawaguchi City, Saitama participated in the Asian Regional Tournament held in Hong Kong, China from July 23-27. All games were played at the fields at Hong Kong Disneyland theme park. Representing Japan, Kawaguchi had a cake walk through this tournament, defeating teams from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mainland China, Thailand and Korea with a combined score of 43-2. The Little League has a rule that forbids a game to continue once a team is over their opponent by 10 runs.

Due to their success in the Asian Regional Tournament, Kawaguchi continued international play by advancing to the Little League World Series held in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA from August 18-27. With all games covered by ESPN, ESPN2, Spanish-language ESPN’s Deportes, and ABC television networks (games were shown in Japan courtesy of J-1 Sports), Asian champs, Kawaguchi Little League continued their winning ways by defeating teams from Russia, Mexico, Curacao, and Saudi Arabia with a combined score of 28-4. This earned them the right to play in the International Championship game where they met Mexico once again. The results from the first meeting were the same as Kawaguchi Little League defeated Mexico 3-0.

The celebration of their International Championship was short lived as the following day, Kawaguchi played against the Southeast representative and United States Champions, Northern Little League All-Stars, of Columbus, Georgia. With a crowd of nearly 5,000 fans on hand Kawaguchi took the lead in the top of the 3rd inning when Kawaguchi’s pitching ace and slugger, Go Matsumoto drove in centerfielder, Seigo Yada. In the bottom of the 3rd inning, Columbus responded with 2-run homer off the bat of catcher, Cody Walker. The remainder of the game was a pitching duel with Matsumoto recording nine strikeouts, and Columbus’ Kyle Carter recording 11 strikeouts. The game ended with the boys from the “City of Cupolas” coming up short by one run. With Columbus in a jubilant mood after their victory, they approached Kawaguchi’s dugout and asked them to go with them to the outfield to pay tribute to the fans. Together both teams jogged around the field waving to their fans.

After the game during the post-game interview, Columbus pitching ace, Carter was quoted as saying, “Matsumoto and I are good friends. We communicate the best we can. Afterwards, he and I are going to play ping-pong.”

Two days before the 2nd term began; Kawaguchi returned home and most likely began preparations for their upcoming sports day festivals. As I entered my 3rd and final year on JET, I started doing my self-introductions at my new school, Kita JHS. When I began telling the students of my travels and then asked, “Has anyone been to America?” It was to my surprise that 1st Year student, Seigo Yada raised his hand. His Japanese Teacher of English told me that he went this summer. I then continued with asking the students if they have been to the places that I’ve been and realized that Yada-kun was the boy I saw on TV who made an Ichiro-like throw from centerfield to get a runner out in the Curacao game. I stopped in mid-sentence and went to Yada-kun and shook his hand and congratulated him for his accomplishments. I then told him that I saw him on TV. He began to blush as his classmate sitting behind him grabbed him by his shoulders. After class, he followed me out of the class where I got him to write his name so I could look him up on the Internet. I did an “American Joke” and said, “Give me your sign!” As we parted ways, he ran back to his room with a big smile while I walked back to the teacher’s room with my heart full of pride.


The Divine Wind Vault
http://divinewindvault.blogspot.com
(C)2006-09