Google AdSense

Friday, June 5, 2009

Studying Japanese and Eating at Yoshinoya's


Today, I had a chance to use my Japanese aside when I converse with my wife and mother-in-law via Skype when I was out doing my temporary job. The Japanese woman informed me that her husband works for a textile company in the area. She seemed happy to have someone talk to her briefly in Japanese.

When I lived in Japan, I studied Japanese religiously at Bunkyo University located about 15 minutes by walking from Kita Koshigaya Station in Saitama beginning in 2004. A year later, I lost my way and became burnt out due to the distance. In 2006, I've resumed my studies in a structured and controlled environment. The commute was an hour with two transfers by train. I also went back to Japanese classes by using the subway from Kawaguchi Motogo to Higashi Kawaguchi. The first time I did it, I was disappointed because the fare was so expensive and I didn't think that it saved me much time. This time around I felt better about using this route.

Outside of the station near the school was a Yoshinoya's. I began eating there before class was was a welcomed return. At the time, the restaurant's signature dish, beef bowls were off the menu due to Japan's ban on American beef. Without their beef bowls due to this, I kind of lost interest in that place. By the way, Yoshinoya operates in the US in places like California.

Back in October '06 for the first week, the Beef Bowl were brought back at Yoshinoya's and then for good in December. I recalled eating those several times a week with an abundant amount of shouga (thin slices of ginger).

Today's images are from top to bottom: Japanese language, Yoshinoya's beef bowl and shouga.


The Divine Wind Vault
http://divinewindvault.blogspot.com
(C)2006-09