Google AdSense

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Home by the Sea- My First Home in Japan (Yokosuka Navy Base, USS Independence CV-62)


December 20th, Columbus, OH-

The Indy, my first home in Japan, was the Navy's only forward deployed carrier group from the early 1990s until its decommissioning in the late 1990s.


This sweatshirt was one of the last things that I bought at the ship's store when I transferred to a ship in CA and started the process of getting ready for college.  So many life lessons were learned during those two years on the Indy-- both on the ship and on Liberty in Japan.  One lesson in particular was looking at the glass being half full.  Sadly, many of my junior enlisted contemporaries did the opposite and missed out on what Japan had to offer.

After graduating from college, I was fortunate to return to Japan on the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program where I took my curiosity and interest of Japan to the next level.  I am better off because of my time spent in Japan-- both in Yokosuka and in Saitama and have Freedom's Flagship to thank for making that possible.  




The Divine Wind Vault http://divinewindvault.blogspot.com (C)2006-16

No comments:

Post a Comment